Wednesday, August 1, 2012

Fresh from the Garden.

~~~~I can't believe it's already August!!!~~~~ 
One of my favorite months.. it reminds me of the summer vacations spent on the beach in Italy. So, today I looked in my friends' garden and I found 3 Zucchini Flowers!! They told me I could pick them, as they don't eat them.. well... that's exactly what I did!! I LOVE zucchini flowers!! It's an ingredient found mostly in the Roman cuisine, they fry them or put them on pizzas as a topping. 
{So delicious!!!}
I like them fried and I decided to take pictures to show all of you this wonderful and easy recipe. It is a great side dish, appetizer or yummi snack!


FRIED ZUCCHINI FLOWERS 
(Fiori di Zucchina fritti)

This is what you need:

  • 5 or 6 large zucchini flowers
  • 2 eggs
  • 1 tbsp flour
  • 1 splash of water
  • 1 pinch of salt
  • vegetable oil 
Wash the flowers very gently, detach the little stem inside the flower (and throw it away). 

Prepare the egg-batter mixing the eggs with a pinch of salt, add the flour and mix well until creamy. Add a splash of cold water and keep stirring until smooth. 

Dip the flower in the batter and fry it in a saucepan with hot oil until golden on both sides.

Let the cooked flowers rest on paper towel to absorb the extra oil. Serve warm.



* * * * *


3 comments:

  1. Love it! This entry makes me hungry :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love them too! And if you put inside a little piece of mozzarella and an anchoive before frying that (it's a tipical recipe of Rome) is really esquisite!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow this looks so yummy!! I remember when I was younger my mom would always buy them at the farmers market but made them totally different. I'll have to try this soon. ;)
    xo sandra
    redrose-vintage.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

♥ ~Thank you for stopping by~ ♥ I love your comments!